My Silenced Thank You- Dear Forensics,


In case you have been out of the loop of my life, allow me catch you up to speed. I spent the past two years as a member of the Southeastern Illinois College Forensics speech team. Just in case you're not in the speech community loop, this is a traveling, competitive, academic team which uses their mouths to bring awareness to social issues. Think debate team, and you're on the right track...almost.

Let's rewind and remember three years ago. I had just graduated high school, skipped out on college, and was living in Nicaragua.

And again, fast forward to two years ago. I'm living back in the states, and to make a very long story short (if you want to hear it, I'd love to chat about how cool God is!) I end up on scholarship at my local community college for something I'd never done, had interest in, or considered myself talented at.

Although my time spent on the speech team was one of the most demanding and challenging periods of my life, it was also one of the most rewarding. Now, when I say rewarding, I'm not talking about successful. Rather, It's something far more valuable.

Those two years were packed with some of my life's most precious moments. It was full of never forgettable memories with (thirteen my first year) eleven of the most beautifully unique, drastically different, and sweetly supportive friends. By spending a significant amount of time with these humans I learned some of the most treasured values.


Hence, Forensics, this is for you.

First, I owe you an apology. I judged you before I even knew you. I denied you before I tried you. Also, you should know I talked a whole lot of smack about you behind your back. Things like, How "you stole my life," how "I have a love hate relationship with you," or how "I couldn't wait to be done with you."

Instead, now I would like to thank you. Yes, thank you forensics for showing me the value of reaping what you sow. Thank you for teaching me the power and impact of my sound. Also, thank you for giving me an experience I'll never forget. Mostly, thank you for relationships that will last a lifetime.

Without babbling any longer, here is a list of some things I learned because of forensics. Had I not been on the team, I may not have grasped these matters, at least not at this point in my life.


So, Dear Forensics,
Thank you for teaching me:

1. TO NEVER STOP TRYING-

Speech is a lot of try and try again. At one tournament you may do great, and without changing a thing, at the next you might not do so good. However, you taught me how to work through changes, and keep pursuing my best, even in the face of difficulty. 

2. HOW TO SUPPORT OTHERS:

Whether I liked it or not, the past two years I was stuck with people. Kinda like at a family gathering when you, the host, are ready for the people to get out of your house, but they just don't. You know the feeling, let's not pretend you don't. Similarly, I was to spend nearly every moment with these people. However, in that you showed me how to encourage, uplift, and be there for others in a way I had never experienced.  

3. TO BELIEVE IN MYSELF:

You quickly showed me I was my biggest competition. Without believing in myself or my performances, my chances of winning were unheard of. So, thank you for teaching me I am enough, and it's important to believe in what I do.

4. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF TREATING OTHERS WELL:

As I mentioned earlier, my team wasn't going anywhere. This meant one of two things- treat them poorly and problems follow everywhere, or treat them well and our time would be pleasant, effective, and fun. You showed me the power and importance of a smile, compliment, being kind, and a good listening ear. 

5. LIFE'S NOT MEANT TO BE LIVED ALONE:

Before speech I was one with very few close friends. However, by spending time with you, team quickly became family. That experience showed me it's good and healthy to celebrate your highs with others, and walk through your valleys with people close. 

6. NEVER STOP LEARNING:

I acquired the value of a new day. You taught me each day carries something special, we just have to look for it. You showed me how to see the next day as a fresh start, and how to learn from those around me.

7. I AM MORE THAN MY WORK:

Though speech requires a whole lot of hard work, it turns out I am not the pieces I produce. I am not equivalent to the place I was given at a tournament. I am not the work I do. Thank you for showing me I am much more than that!

8. TO NEVER BE CONTENT WITH YESTERDAY'S BEST:

Work. Work harder. Make progress. & see better results. It was you who showed me how to really work for what I want. Though I may be okay with something, or it may seem "good," you taught me how to work for the best. Because of you I saw that comfortable results in danger. It's okay to not be content. Because once we arrive at content's shore, things quickly become stale, dusty, and boring. Thank you for showing me risk equals reward. 

9. MY HISTORY SHAPES A BETTER ME:

Yes, we all walk through yucky, dark times in which we'd rather not discuss. However, it's those moments that shape, sculpt, and transform us. The lessons we learn from our history literally help make us the best us we can be. You showed me how to not be ashamed of my past, but to be thankful for it. 

10. HOW TO BE ME:

Simply put, the speech community is made up of a very diverse group of people. By surrounding me with others who were totally different than me, I learned it's alright to be unapologetic about who I am. To be me, only me, and fearless about it.

11. IT'S OKAY TO TAKE THE MASKS OFF:

Finally, I was taught a lot about trust. How to draw near to others, and build beautiful trust. In such relationships you showed me time and time again how masks fall off. That is the persona we attempt to hide behind, the secret doors we don't let anyone in, and the walls of false security we build between us and others. You showed me how to live in relationships in such a way that honor and confidence are the foundation. You taught me how to just be me, to own my past, open the closed doors, and tear down walls. I'm forever grateful you taught me how to live unmasked and free.


So, forensics, my coaches, and my team, thank you! Thank you for teaching and shaping me into me. I deeply appreciate you!

Love always,

Cas <3

Comments

Popular Posts