A Challenge from The Father


One hundred and seventy-two.
The number of articles of clothing I have in my closet alone. This excludes the sweatshirts, t-shirts, and many other things in my dressers.  
---------------------------------
Challenge: by my definition is a given proposal encouraging someone to do something they normally would not. 

Thus, my challenge from The Father. Exactly one week ago I was pondering on some words I had heard. When I felt a nudging in my spirit that proposed the question: What if you tried to live more like others around the world? 

Interesting question I thought to myself. Considering the heart I have for missions, I always thought myself as mindful towards those around the globe. But this question was shaking my previous mindset. 

So I answered The Spirit with a question: Okay, what can I do? 

His response was simpler than I had conjured up in my mind. He suggested I go a little while with less clothing. 

"Alright," I answered. "What do you want me to do?" Simply put, a 21 day challenge came about. Basically, wear the same 21 articles of clothing for the next 21 days.

So my clothes currently primarily consist of: 
1 pair of jeans
3 pairs of legging-like pants
2 cardigans 
1 jacket
6 shirts
2 t-shirts
1 sweater
1 cami 
2 suit jackets
and
2 suit skirts
21 items in total.
I also allowed myself to include:
3 pairs of shoes (a pair of boots, tennis shoes, and heels)
1 scarf
1 necklace
and
1 pair of earrings

And there is was. My complete wardrobe for the first 21 days of November.

Therefore, today is day 7 of this challenge. So far I have learned it isn't too bad wearing the same clothes three days in a row. I mean, are they really dirty after one wear anyhow? Seriously, who made that rule? So yes, I'm thankful for perfume! I've also learned you can save a lot of time in the morning when you have about 10 total outfit choices. 
But above all else, my mindset of what's important has been challenged. I would have most definitely considered the way I look important. From my clothes to shoes, the hair and makeup, and even accessories. But I'm learning, is it really? Does the way others others see me help anything? Make a difference? Improve anything? No. The answer to all of these is no. So in the grand scheme of things, my appearance is meaningless.

Then what is important you ask? I've learned through this, it's important to live each day to its maximum potential. Live life like Jesus. Make a difference. Impact someone's life. Give. Laugh. And LOVE! 

------------------------
 Being able to grasp the value of life while still living is of immeasurable worth.

Comments

Popular Posts