I'd Never


One could easily say I've lived a sheltered life. There are many things I have never done, seen, or heard about. To be honest, I'm quite alright with that. 

But if one thing is true, Nicaragua has taught me lots of new things. The following are things I have learned about Nicaragua and life in the past four months.

1. What is On Time?
Perhaps this is stereotypical, but I haven't met a Nicaraguan yet that knows what on time means. When someone says they will for example be at the house at 8, it's safe to call it 8:30 or perhaps 9. Thankfully, growing up us Maynard's weren't so good at the whole on time thing either, so I am fitting right in.

2. The "Magic Broom"
Similar to the Magic Eraser in the States, a typical broom is the multipurpose cleaner here. Before Nicaragua it was safe to say I had never swept leaves, trash, or dog poo. I'm really convinced if you hand a Nicaraguan a broom they could do anything with it. 


3. Meat Trap
As you've read in previous blogs or Facebook posts, mice and other rodents are common companions here. Unlike back home where we use peanut butter or cheese to catch these pests, here we go for the meat attempt. Yup, that's right! Just hang a little piece of raw meat on the trap, and you're guaranteed a new friend within a few hours or days. Just let it sit in the heat long enough and those creatures can't resist the smell. Yummy right?

4. Convenience of In-Home Stores
Manny, many houses here literally have a small store in their home. I'm not joking, all three of my neighbors sell something out of their house. These little shops sale everything from candies and small snacks to cleaning supplies and toiletries. Most things are typically really cheap and not to mention what an advantage they are. I really enjoy walking a few feet to make a purchase rather than driving to the nearest super market. I honestly think this will be one of the materialistic things I miss most from this country. 

5. The Plate Trick
So when you can't seem to finish a meal or have leftovers, what do you do? Why not top it off with another plate or bowl. It works perfectly to keep bugs out and freshness in. I'm beginning to think Nicaraguans are on the way to put all foil, plastic wrap, and tupperware companies out of business.

6. We Have a Trash Can? 
I haven't decided what the motive is, but rarely do you find someone taking their trash to the can. Instead, they just put it on the floor or street. In fact, I've come to believe most houses don't even have a trash can inside. Instead, one will sweep it up later and take it to the trash can outside.

7. Dirty Windows? Quick Fix!
I remember the struggle of a dirty window to a driver. Thankfully, most cars have that handy dandy, little knob that squirts cleaning liquid onto the windshield. Unfortunately, in most circumstances, this helpful apparatus makes the matters worse. Well, Nicaragua understands this battle too. As a matter of fact, so much so you can get a window wash at just about any traffic light for the cost of a nickel. Just give the signal to the man or kid with a squirt bottle and squeegee and the job will be done in a matter of seconds!

8. The Nose Scrunch 
Resembling the downward movement of the eyebrows followed by a confused facial expression, here we use the nose scrunch gesture. When given, this is a sign of confusion or want for a further explaination. While it did take me a while to catch on, I can say I have effectively learned and masted this signal. 

9. Scared of the Sun
Yes, most Nicaraguans have a fear or highly dislike the sun. This is quite ironic to me considering the is a rather hot and sunny country. In fact I receive several strange looks while I pull a "Timothy Green" and soak up all the sun I can get at any given opportunity. 

10. Grown Up Too Fast
As I have played on the rather comical side of things, I decided I better bring it home with number ten on more of a serious note. After being here close to four months, there are still a few things that break my heart no matter how many times I witness them. This one in particular being the fact that children are forced to grow up too quickly. They have so many responsibilities and the expectations are set high for them. What do I mean exactly? I mean I know eight year olds that often babysit their one year old sister, it is not uncommon to see five and six year olds roaming the streets in the late hours of the night, leave your ten year old to guard the house while no one else is home, or to send your thirteen year old to the market by bus. These are just a few of the ordinary things here that I can't imagine would occur in the States. It seems to me children miss out on being a kid because they are too busy being (insert child's age here) going on thirty.

It's safe to say I've learned many useful tips, new ways of life, and matters of culture in the short time I have been here, and I wouldn't change it for anything! How I love me some Nicaragua and often enjoy stepping back and watching with a giggle while I observe something new.

Comments

Popular Posts