One Month Down


It's really mind blowing to think today marks one month in Nicaragua! Yup! I've been living here for four solid weeks now. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little sad one month has passed just like that. I'm pretty sure this has been the fastest month in my life thus far. 

Well, I'm sure you're thinking I must have some great stories now, which is true. In this time period I've been able to visit a volcano, expirence open air markets several times, eat from ladies cooking by the street on grills made from trashcans, watch a movie in the nicest theater I've ever been to, bake outside, try lots of new food, learn what it's like to be splattered by iguana guts while it's being prepared to eat, discover what it's like to be pulled over by a Nicaraguan policeman, and fall in love with thirty-six beautiful faces. 

But, none of these expirences have been my favorite. While most of them were very fun, or interesting to say the least, it's the everyday things that will leave a lasting impression upon my heart. 

It's the way I'm loved on everyday by children I've only known for a little while. I can't begin to tell you how many hugs, kisses, receive, or how many hands I holds in one day.  

It's the way the kids put up with my pathetic Spanish, and how it sometimes takes me five minutes to understand the most simplistic comment. Or how after a gental giggle one 
will kindly correct how I pronounce a word.  

I find my self overwhelmed by generosity, kindness, and love. And I'm not complaining! In fact, I'm very thankful for everyone of those hugs where I think I may die because I'm being squeezed too tight. I'm thankful for each kiss on the cheek that comes with every hello and goodbye. And I'm greatful for each time my hand is stolen by dirty, sticky, little fingers, and the smile I recieve when I look down to see who they belong to. 

These are the memories that make my favorite 
list. But, there is still one more story worthy to be told. 

It began on a Saturday afternoon. I, along with my friends Cami and Kellyn, had the chance to spend a few hours at a local park with thirty-five sweet souls. As we were waiting for all the children to arive before loading the bus, several of our boys were buying snacks. They were taking a while, so I went to the street vendor to make sure things were okay. Of corse they were, but when the candy selection is abundant, and your with your friends, it just sometimes takes a minute to make a decision. 

So decisions were made, children arrived, we loaded the bus, and were on our way. When we arrived at the park, I decided I would follow up the tail of our line, and so did a boy named Bladamir. I assumed he wanted to be last in order to walk by me, but he had a plan much greater than that. 

As we walked from the back of the bus past the bus driver, Bladamir stopped. He reached into his pocket, and out came a package of mints. This was the treat he decided to purchase with his spending money earlier that day. With mints in his hand, and a nervous grin on his face, he politely offered the bus driver a few of his precious mint treats. 

You see, I've been able to see and do some pretty cool things while I've been in Nicaragua. But, none of them compare to all the little, daily things. But that's okay, Jesus is fond of the small things too. After all, that's how all great things begin, right? 

Jesus says in Luke 16:10 "one who is faithful with very little, is also faithful with much."

Therefore, appreciate the little things. Enjoy them, and cherish them. Once you do this, they may just become your favorites too. 




Comments

Popular Posts